Thursday, January 24, 2008

A germ of an idea

One day, armed with a box of oil pastels purloined from my Mother, I occupied myself for an entire afternoon blissfully drawing stylised orange and yellow flowers with green leaves over the red brick wall against which our rather dilapidated Victorian greenhouse stood. I was about 5 at the time and knew exactly what I wanted it to look like.No one was overly impressed with the resulting work of art, including me.

However no one told me off either. I went and sat in the bottom of the great big wooden cask that served as the Greenhouse's water butt and brooded on my ineptitude at capturing the pictures in my head and translating them onto a flat surface.

Faint traces of it can be seen still, although the greenhouse, and sadly the water butt, has long gone, and I have been painting on fired earth ever since.

So from those first seeds of creativity which were allowed to blossom unfettered by my kind parents, I have progressed from bricks to tiles... and I am going to use this spot to show some of the things I do.

Hope you like them. Pop in when you have a free moment.

Illustration. 4.25" tile Nasturtiums: see my website for details.

12 comments:

Kitty said...

Yup, looking good so far!

muddyboots said...

looks good! when the farm house was damp proofed we place a tin under the floor boards. it is still there just like you faded picture........

Sally Townsend said...

Who is going to be able to resist popping in here to see your wonderful ceramic tiles !!

Blossomcottage said...

Your tale so reminds me of Cassandra in I Captured the Castle,
" I am wrting this Journal with my feet in the sink " she said.
From young thoughts and deeds so many wonderful things appear and your tiles are beautiful. I will come once again to the Glazed Expression and enjoy your work and thoughts.
Blossom

mountainear said...

I look forward to coming back and seeing more like this. Like your memory too.

snailbeachshepherdess said...

What a lovely story...I chalked people on the green plaster of a disused chapel...they are still there ...just wish I could afford to buy the house back!

Norma Murray said...

Ah! So that's how it all started.

Cait O'Connor said...

I haven't visited you for ages, apologies I have a lot to catch up on. I like this blog too, it looks good. It's lovely to think your passion started so early and was encouraged.

Frances said...

Well, I am thinking auspicious nasturtiums!
Perhaps because you were encouraged as a child, so it is that you encourage your own children, all the while just bubbling along in your creativity and curiosity about what can be beautiful.
xo

Pipany said...

Great, I love these business blogs - very inspiring UPL and love the tale of the little you xx

Bluestocking Mum said...

I LOVED this new blog UPL-and will really enjoy seeing your range and your business ideas develop-just my 'cup of tea!'

I wish you every success with your venture-you are VERY clever and talented and with 'notonthehighstreet.'

warmest wishes
xx

Grouse said...

Absolutely brilliant! If this is the begginning......who knows what you will be doing in six months time?